North Carolina Conference


The History of the North Carolina Annual Conference

The North Carolina Annual Conference was organized in Wilmington, North Carolina in 1968. Bishop Alexander W. Wayman was the Presiding Bishop at the organizational meeting. The first annual session of the Conference met in Greensboro, North Carolina in 1869.

Prior to 1892, all of the churches in the state of North Carolina were in one conference, “The North Carolina Annual Conference.” The Annual Conference of 1892 divided the state into two conferences, the North Carolina Annual Conference and the Western North Carolina Annual Conference.

Kittrell College had its origin in the North Carolina Conference. The history of the college reflects the influence of the North Carolina Conference on the founding of the school.

Miss Louisa Dorr, a faithful teacher from the North, conducted a Bible Training class in connection with her school work in Raleigh. Several of the young men became enthusiastic over the studies and created a sentiment in favor of better facilities. The matter was taken to the North Carolina Annual Conference of the AME Church, and at once assumed definite shape, resulting in the proposition to establish a school in the state and the selection of the site at Kittrell, North Carolina.

On December 15, 1870, the North Carolina Annual Conference met at Newbern, North Carolina. This was its second annual session. G. B. Williams was chosen secretary. G. W. Brodie preached the Annual sermon.

The 21st Session of the General Conference of the AME Church met at St. Stephen’s AME Church, Wilmington, North Carolina, May 4-22, 1896.